Pana Kitchell Park
This massive 40 acre jewel was given to Pana by Capt. John W. Kitchell and his wife Mary Little Kitchell in 1908. Kitchell Park is also the home of a prized round Chautauqua Pavilion built in 1911. Speakers during those days included William Jennings Bryan, World War I hero Sergeant York, Billy Sunday, and other noted speakers and entertainers.
Kitchell Park is equipped with a swimming pools, pavilions for gathering, 3 baseball fields, 3 soccer fields, 4 playground areas, walking path, disc golf course, lagoon for fishing and tennis court.
The Schuyler bridge was built in 1910,
and is completely made of concrete.
The ornate Main Gate was the entrance booth for the Tri-County Fair, which was held here from 1885 until it was moved to the present fairgrounds around 1949.
Part of the old horse track is still one of the main roads in the park. History has it, Frank James of the infamous "James Gang" was the starter and timekeeper in his later years after he was pardoned by Missouri authorities. Visitors may take advantage of the tennis courts, softball and baseball diamonds, swimming pool, playgrounds, and picnic area. Kitchell Park is one of few parks listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The auditorium was a result of a 6 1/2 inch rainfall which fell during the Chautauqua of 1910. It was felt if the Chautauqua were to survive, suitable shelter had to be provided. The auditorium at the time of construction was deemed one of the most modern in the country with seating capacity of 3500. The stage measured 35x45 feet.
In 1955, the auditorium was completely renovated through a project sponsored by the Pana Lions Club. A concrete floor, new paint, rewiring and the installation of 24 overhead lights rounded out the project.
Tanner Sports Complex
In the Fall of 1996, the Pana Sports Foundation took on the task of transforming the 10 acre tract that previously was home to the Tanner Drive in into a sports complex. The complex has a regulation size soccer field, a high school size baseball field and a multipurpose softball field. It is used by many area sports teams for practice and games.
Over the years a pavilion, concession stand and permanent bathrooms have been added with help from the Lions Club and others. Various other projects have been done by Eagle Scouts such as sidewalks, a flag pole and dugouts for the soccer field. All of the work that has been done on this complex has been provided through volunteer labor coordinated by the Pana Sports Foundation.
JCC Dog Park
he JCC Pana Dog Park is open and free for the public to use. It is located south of the Pana Park on Rt 51, across from the Eagles Club. The dog park consists of two areas for large and small dogs. Please abide by the rules posted on the gate.
Kehias Park serves the Northwest sector of the city with playgrounds, a picnic pavilion, a ball diamond, and a tennis court.
Welburn Park serves the Northeast part of town with playground and picnic areas.